We have our fair share of ants here in Springtown. Similar to termites, these insects can be a threat to your building. In fact, carpenter ants have the ability to create passageways to and from their nests by chewing through wood.
How to spot an ant infestation
Do you notice large numbers of ants trailing to food sources in your home? Then you may have an infestation somewhere on your property. Other signs of ants include mounds of dirt or sand/clay somewhere inside or outside of your home.
Let’s go back to carpenter ants for a moment. Since these insects prefer damp wood that is already decaying, you can usually find them around windows, decks, porches, and other areas where moisture accumulates.
Here are five tips for controlling an ant infestation:
- Seal any openings – Take a close look around your property. Do you notice small cracks and crevices in walls, windows, and foundations? Unfortunately, these all provide an entrance for ants. Take the time to seal such openings using caulk and other effective materials. While you shouldn’t expect to find all of the intruders, it’s at least a good start.
- Clean around entry points – Now that you’ve sealed off those cracks and crevices, it’s time to start cleaning around them. Fun fact about ants: they leave an invisible trail containing pheromones so others can follow it to the discovered resource. With that in mind, be sure to scrub around entrances with soap and water to wash away these trails. Of course, now is also an opportunity to perform a thorough cleaning of your kitchen. The last thing you want is for ants to return just because you failed to clean up a certain area of the house.
- Remove any attractants – Ants absolutely love sugar, grease, and other foods. That’s why we recommend keeping such items in sealed containers whenever possible. This isn’t limited to human food, either. Many homeowners make the mistake of leaving out pet food where ants can easily access it. One other thing we advise is to take out the trash regularly. As you may have guessed, ants are also attracted to the smell of garbage as it breaks down.
- Dehydrate impacted areas of the house – By now, you’ve sealed a number of openings around the property, cleaned around entry points, and removed foods that ants would find attractive. There’s nothing else to do, right? Not so fast. Ants need a good deal of moisture to survive. That’s why it’s imperative to minimize their access to water. Leaky pipes, gutters, and spouts are all good places to start. If you’re at all concerned about the level of moisture inside your home, then invest in a humidifier.
- Contact a professional ant control team – It’s one thing to try to eliminate ants on your own. It’s another, though, to allow the pros to effectively remove these pests for good. Keep reading to learn more about Tom Samples Pest Control.
Pest Control Near Me
There is a myriad of pest control companies in the Springtown area. So then why choose us for pest control services? Well, let’s start with the fact that Springtown residents have relied on our expertise for more than six decades.
Unlike competitors, we don’t take a “band-aid” approach when it comes to ant control. You can count on us to come to your property, get to the root of the problem, and then create a customized treatment plan that best suits your dilemma. At Tom Samples, we have the necessary knowledge, experience, and equipment to handle the problem for good.
We are often asked why early pest detection is important. Keep in mind that the sooner any damage is identified, the less costly treatment will be. Plus, you can rest easy knowing that your home is no longer a bed and breakfast for pests.
At Tom Samples Pest Control, the products we use are not only effective but also environmentally friendly. We are also proud to say that customer satisfaction is our No. 1 priority and we guarantee results for every project performed.
It’s time to end your ant dilemma once and for all. Get in touch with Tom Samples today.